Communication during emergencies
The university only sends emergency text and email alerts when there is a situation that presents an ongoing threat to the physical area of campus, such as an incident on campus or when a suspect in a serious incident may be moving toward campus. If an incident is quickly resolved by police (a suspect is arrested, for example), no alerts are sent. The university does not send alerts about incidents that occur off campus in the community and do not threaten campus.
Standard ways the university shares emergency communications:
Safety website: safety.colostate.edu
This website – the University Safety website – is the primary repository for health and safety information related to incidents on and near campus.
Campus-wide email may be used to communicate emergency information and critical updates to students, faculty and staff.
Text message alerts
- The CSU Emergency Text Alert System is used to send text alerts in the event of an emergency on the Fort Collins campus. The system is only used during an immediate, ongoing safety emergency or unexpected closing of the campus, such as a snow day. All students, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to sign up. [Sign up or manage your subscription]
- The Larimer Emergency Telephone Authority allows you to receive alerts about off-campus emergencies and other important community news from law enforcement agencies that are within the community (not CSUPD). You can receive alerts from city police, for example, via your home, cell, or business phone, email, text messages, hearing impaired receiving devices, and more. [Sign up]
The CSU Police and Safety Facebook and Twitter accounts share all emergency alerts that are of an urgent nature and may present an immediate threat to the life or safety of those on the physical grounds of campus. CSU’s social media pages, such as Facebook and Twitter, may also be used to share emergency information or campus closure.
Additional emergency communications options:
The University’s online newsletter, SOURCE, is a resource for information about university closures, such as a snow day.
Colorado State University homepage: www.colostate.edu
The Colorado State University homepage – www.colostate.edu – may be updated with emergency information as needed.
University status information number
Call (970) 491-7669 to get the latest information about University operations and emergency closures, such as during severe weather.
Emergency Broadcast System
Local cable and broadcast stations may be interrupted with emergency notifications.
CSU Police 911 Center
All campus calls to 911 are routed to CSUPD dispatch. Additionally, the center uses a community notification system that allows the University to call specific land-based phones in a targeted area.
Local and regional media outlets
Many media outlets list school closures, such as snow days, and also provide information during an emergency or regarding a university closure.
Fort Collins & Denver Media Outlets that communicate when CSU is closed (due to weather or other issues)
- Radio stations broadcasting emergency/closure information: 530-AM, KOA-AM (850), KCSU-FM (90.5), KUNC-FM (91.5), KTCL-FM (93.3), KGLL-FM (96.1) or KPAW-FM (107.9)
- Television stations broadcasting emergency/closure information: News 7 on KMGH-ABC, Fox 31 News on KDVR-FOX, 9 News on KUSA-NBC, and News 4 on KCNC-CBS.
- Newspapers reporting emergency/closure information online: Coloradoan and Denver Post.