Safety Tips for Students
SafeWalk, a service provided by CSUPD, provides a safe escort from one point to another on campus or from anywhere on campus to a nearby location after dark until dawn. Call (970) 491-1155.
RamRide is a student-run program that offers safe, nonjudgmental and free rides home anywhere within the city limits on Thursdays from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Friday and Saturday nights from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. RamRide does not run during school holidays. Call (970) 491-3333.
- Keep your doors and windows locked when your home or residence hall room is unattended. Keep your curtains drawn for privacy.
- Report to police anyone who is behaving suspiciously by calling 911 from campus to reach CSUPD, or 911 off campus to reach Fort Collins Police Services.
- In all situations, be aware of your surroundings and the people you are with, and leave a situation if it is making you uncomfortable.
- Take care of yourself and others. Make sure someone knows where you’ll be and who you’ll be with. Trust your instincts. When you feel uneasy, get out of the situation immediately and help friends who also may need to get out of a situation.
- Consider using the buddy system and travel in groups. It is also a good idea to carry a cell phone, stick to well-traveled areas and carry a flashlight after dark.
- When driving, on or off campus, always lock your car doors. Do not stop or get out of your car for strangers. Make sure your car windows are rolled up. Do not leave your car running unattended.
- Let friends, family or a roommate know where you are going and when you plan to be back.
- When you see, hear or “feel” that something is not right, error on the side of caution and contact the police by calling 911. Trust your instincts.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Avoid getting distracted by your phone or other electronic devices.
- Trust your instincts. When you feel uneasy, pay attention and get out of the situation immediately. Be assertive if you don’t like someone’s behavior and send a clear and forceful message. If you feel uneasy about a situation a friend is in, act on your instincts to get them out of the situation.